Sunday, June 28, 2009

The foreigners are here!

Ho!
It has been a very interesting few days. Friday we visited the slums and decided on the village we're going to be teaching. I chose Chandikarye village over Jarhel village. Ben Mech and I will be co-teaching there while Magnus will be alone at the other. The kids at Chandikarye seemed more motivated and more focused on the teacher. Maybe because the teacher was stricter... We start teaching tomorrow at 9:30-1:00. After that we have community programs. Maybe building roofs, cuonting family numbers, conducting certain awareness projects, etc.... We actually aren't required to do any of these if don't want (They work really hard to make us happy).

Yesterday Ben and Magnus slept in FOREVER, so I decided to take a stroll around town. I stopped in front of a bike shop for about 15 minutes. The salesmen then come out and talk to me (not uncommon), but, he pulls out today's newspaper and, low and behold, the three foreigners are in the newspaper! We met a journalist outside of the Kanjar community, and they snuck a photo of us! We've only been here 5 days and already we're famous. Yesterday people were pulling outthe newspaper to show us. But, those same salesmen basically take me under their wing for the next three hours. We just sat inside the shop, drank chai, ate, and talked. Pretty crazy.. One invited me to a temple 600 km away next weekend. We'll see about that.

We then decided to visit Jhalawar where foreigners are uncommon.. Long story short, we had a crew of 50 kids following us for a mile. "The foreigners are here!" Funny, yes, but annoying.

If you haven't noticed my English is becoming more and more "Indian." I have to try and be proper when I"m writing. I will also get around to posting some photos.

Monsoon is coming soon. Lots of rain, everyday. Buuutt nicer temps, as it stays a solid 105 most days.

Namaste

P.S. Be thankful for your A/C

No comments:

Post a Comment